CAFCO® SprayFilm® WB 3 Intumescent Fire Resistive Material (IFRM) is a world leading water-based, intumescent coating designed for the fire protection of interior structural steel.
SprayFilm WB 3 introduced new levels of coverage and competitive thickness requirements in the industry. The technological improvements introduced by SprayFilm WB 3 also allowed for easier application and a more environmentally friendly product.
CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 provides architects the ability to design using steel that can be decorative and aesthetically pleasing. It can be top coated to match its surroundings and allows steel to be left exposed to view while providing the required fire resistance rating.
Available in trowel grade, CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 TG can be used for hard to reach areas or for repair applications.
- Water-Based Intumescent coating with low VOC’s.
- The first UL-Classified Intumescent Coating with a Protected Floor Assembly rating.
- Provides up to 2-hour fire resistance ratings in accordance with BS476: Parts 20 & 21, and 4-hours in accordance with ANSI/ UL 263, ASTM E119, CAN /ULC-S101.
- Contains no solvents or harmful compounds.
- Superior performance proven by wide range of testing.
- Durable, smooth architectural finish.
- Quick, easy application and clean up.
- Can be finished with a wide variety of topcoat types and colors.
Wherever an aesthetically pleasing extremely durable finish is desired on exposed steel beams and columns utilized in a variety of open space locations including corporate headquarters, convention halls, atriums, retail facilities, hospitals, airports, rail and bus depots.
The first UL Classified Intumescent Fire Resistive Material (IFRM) with a “Protected” Floor Assembly rating (UL Design No. D601). This allows protected floor assemblies to remain exposed with a pleasant, paint-like finish.
Fire Tests & Approvals
In order to meet the performance and durability criteria set forth by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and other major industry specifying organizations, CAFCO® SprayFilm® WB 3 has undergone the most rigorous testing in accordance with the world’s most demanding safety protocols.
- Cellulosic – ANSI/UL263 (ASTM E119) – Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
- UL Classification Mark
- Cellulosic – BS476: Part 20: 1987 – Method of Determination of the fire resistance of elements construction & EN 1363-1 – Fire Resistance Tests, General Requirements
- Three Bar Overpressure Blast Explosion Testing with Subsequent Hydrocarbon Fire Testing
- New York City Materials and Equipment Acceptance (MEA):
- Evaluation Service Report
- Major Specification and Approval Compliance
Cellulosic – ANSI/UL263 (ASTM E119) – Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials
This cellulosic fire test is traditionally used to evaluate materials for use in the protection of modern day commercial structures. This test reaches 1000°F (537°C) after 5 minutes and gradually reaches a temperature of 2000°F (1093°C) after a period of up to 4 hours.
CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 is classified by Underwriters Laboratories for up to 4 hours protection in accordance with ANSI/ UL263 and is listed within various UL Designs. CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 (ISOLATEK Type WB 3 outside of the Americas) has also been evaluated in accordance with BS476: Part 21: 1987 for periods up to 2 hours on beams and columns which are listed within Warrington assessment reports.
UL Classification Mark
The UL Classification Mark indicates compliance with global requirements as it relates to a specific risk or casualty. With the Classification service, UL determines that a manufacturer has demonstrated the ability to produce a product complying with UL’s requirements with respect to one or more of the following:
- Specific risk, e.g., casualty, fire, etc.
- Performance under specific conditions
- Compliance with regulatory codes
- Compliance with specific standards such as international standards
- Other condition, as determined by UL
All of the products carrying a UL Classification Mark are covered by UL’s Follow-Up Services program to verify that products carrying the UL Classification Mark continue to be manufactured in compliance with UL’s safety requirements.
Cellulosic – BS476: Part 20: 1987 – Method of Determination of the fire resistance of elements construction & EN 1363-1 – Fire Resistance Tests, General Requirements:
This cellulosic fire test is traditionally used to evaluate materials for use in the protection of modern day commercial structures. This test reaches 1069°F (576°C) after 5 minutes and gradually reaches a temperature of 2107°F (1153°C) after a period of up to 4 hours.
CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 has been evaluated in accordance with BS476: Parts 20-21: 1987 & EN 1363-2 for periods up to 4 hours on beams and columns which is listed within a Warrington assessment report.
Three Bar Overpressure Blast Explosion Testing with Subsequent Hydrocarbon Fire Testing
To determine the ability of fire protection materials to withstand a blast or explosion, a series of blast overpressure tests, followed by a hydrocarbon fire test is essential in order to determine the durability of the material. These tests are carried out by means of applying the fire resistive material to steel members and subjecting them to blast overpressure testing directly followed by a hydrocarbon fire test.
Isolatek International subjected CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 to this test at Advantica Spadeadam Test Facility in the UK. The tests were independently witnessed by Lloyd’s Register of Shipping. Three separate tests were conducted, peaking at 3.11 atmospheres (6580 psf). The specimens survived without any damage. After the tests were complete, the members successfully were subjected to hydrocarbon fire testing.
New York City Materials and Equipment Acceptance (MEA)
An MEA Number is the number assigned to a product that has been approved for use in New York City by the MEA Division. CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 has been reviewed and MEA numbers have been assigned.
The MEA division regulates “certain materials and equipment (that) require Department of Buildings acceptance.” These manufactured items affect public safety, health and welfare (including structural stability and fire safety) and are usually a permanent part of a building.
Major Specification and Approval Compliance
CAFCO SprayFilm WB 3 complies with the requirements of the following specifications:
- MasterSpec®, Section 078123 APPLIED FIREPROOFING (AIA)
- MasterFormat® 2014, Section 07 81 00 Applied Fireproofing (CSC,CSI)
- Unified Facilities Guide Specification, UFGS 07 81 00 Spray-Applied Fireproofing (USACE, NAVFAC, AFCEC, NASA)
- Master Construction Specifications, Number 07 81 00 Applied Fireproofing (VA)
- Code of Federal Regulations, Title 40 Protection of the Environment (EPA)
- PBS-P100, Facilities Standards for the Public Buildings Services (GSA)
|ASTM Physical Performance Standards||Test Performance* Intumescent Fire Resistive Materials (IFRM’s)|
|Physical Property||ASTM Standard||CAFCO® SprayFilm® WB 3|
|Surface Burning Characteristics||ASTM E84||Flame Spread – 0
Smoke Developed – 20
|Cohesion / Adhesion(Bond Strength)||ASTM D4541||485 psi (3344 kPa)|
|Durometer Hardness||ASTM D2240||67 Shore D|
|Impact Resistance||ASTM D2794||160 inch-lb (18 Nm) @ 2mm|
|Abrasion Resistance||ASTM D4060||0.1105 g/1000 cycles|
*Based on independent laboratory tests under controlled conditions.